Monday, November 29, 2010

Advent...The Season of Waiting

Advent, the Season of Waiting has arrived. It is in this time that we now wait patiently for the birth of Christ. During this season we hear the stories of being prepared and waiting for Jesus to come. We don't know when he will come, only to be prepared for his coming. I am reminded of the story of the ten bridesmaids (this story follows the one we just heard in Sunday's Gospel lesson)where there are five wise and five foolish. The story tells us that the bridesmaids are sent out to greet the groom and five wise brought with them extra oil for their lamps and the foolish brought none extra. When the groom had appeared and it was time for the bridesmaids to go out and meet him, the foolish asked the wise for some of theirs but they would not give to the foolish for they would not have enough for themselves. The wise told the foolish, go out and buy some from the peddlers before it was too late. In their time of going out to buy more oil, the groom came, lead by the wise bridesmaids, and went into the party. The doors were shut. When the foolish arrived, they were not allowed in for they were not known to the master.

Sitting around and waiting is hard work. It can be boring and tiring. But what does that mean in the context of waiting for Jesus? We are not prophets and we do not know the hour and time at which he is coming? We can choose when we talk to him and prayer, and worship Him in service, but how do we wait for an hour we don't know when it is coming? I have come to relate this season of waiting to patience, something I am coming to develop more and more everyday with my work here in Ecuador.

With waiting comes the need for patience. Like many of us, myself included, patience can be difficult; especially when we are waiting for an unknown event of time of occurence. My patience has increased exponentially with my work that I am doing here. Teaching children who don't want to learn is a very difficult task. Teaching alone is a very difficult task. I am even working in a new country let alone in a familiar surrounding.

In this season of Advent, I feel I am not only waiting for the birth of Christ, I am waiting to find what I am seeking here in the work I am doing with the Episcopal Church. I am seeking out that feeling of accomplishing a worthwhile work here when I am constantly feeling like what is the point? I find myself asking what work am I accomplishing for God and His church when the children don't even want to learn? Am I making even one impact on at least one child?

My work here has become easier for me to accept a sense of accomplishing work for a change now that I have helped create and now lead free twice a week community tutoring and English classes through the Cathedral, where I attend weekly service and work at the Cathedral school. It is a relief and refreshing feeling to actually have students who respect you and listen to you. I am very excited about this program more so than I am with my actual work at the Cathedral school. No one said teaching would be easy.

I also find myself asking, where am I going with my life. I not only took on this mission work to further my exploration of my faith with the Episcopal Church, but to also look, seek out, and patiently wait for the answer of what God is asking me to do with my life. I was very excited to finish college but at the same time terrified because I had/still have no idea where God is leading me in this confusing ride called life. I know where my interests lie for the most part but I struggle to find where and how to apply these interests with the next steps in this game called life.

This brings me to remember the season I am currently in. Advent is a time to apply our patience or learn some for those of us who don't have patience. It is the season to reflect on and turn back to our faith, because it is in this beautiful season we await for the return of Christ. We eagerly look forward to the birth of our savior. With His return and reign, our faith is transformed, and for me, it renews my strength in trusting in Him to guide my life and my purpose for His work in this world.

Almighty God, give us grace to cast away the works of darkness, and put on the armor of light, now in the time of this mortal life in which your Son Jesus Christ came to visit us in great humility; that in the last day, when he shall come again in his glorious majesty to judge both the living and the dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen (Collect for First Sunday of Advent, BCP)

No comments:

Post a Comment