Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Most Dangerous Parts of Mission Work in Ecuador and South America

Working in South America, specifically Ecuador, I wondered just how dangerous life might be. You hear of the notorious stories of international kidnappings for money, muggings, or even the run ins with unstable governments or violence over drugs. However, if I were to get hurt or be in any form of mortal danger, it won't be from any of these. My peril will come in a different form; the most dangerous activity I have experienced thus far here in Ecuador. That peril is being involved in a car accident.

I just recently returned from traveling to Santo Domingo, and I thanked God upon my arrival in Quito after praying for the two hours asking for His guiding hand in safety. There is no regard to speed limit here and passing on blind curves because of impatience is sport here.

I've always been the type of person to be able to read when I am traveling if I get bored and not get sick. Five minutes into riding the bus to and the car from Santo Domingo, my stomach was in knots and I knew I was going to throw up. (Sorry everyone.) I recently needed to download a new attachment on metric to American conversions so I could comprehend just how fast we were taking these blind curves. It seems the Ecuadorian people have no sense of patience and love a good thrill ride.

Also, hitchiking is very popular here as well.It is not uncommon to see a family or strangers catching a ride in the back of a pickup on the way to their destination. Seat belts are a foreign concept and most don't use them. The majority of taxi's, approximately ninety-five percent of them don't even come equipped with seat belts except for the driver's seat.

Although I have been robbed only once (outside a bus station by a man keeping one hand in a pocket and shouting dame, dame, which means give me, at me. Robbery does not scare me. It is not my greatest fear here. You simply hand over what you have on you so they leave you alone. Fortunately all I was carrying was my wallet at the time with sixteen dollars and a photocopy of my passport (which is why I carry copies and never the original). Fun fact for you, U.S. passports can be valued as high as 1500 dollars on the black market. I now no longer carry more than ten dollars on me. You also stay away from the areas of high crime activity. It's the same in the U.S. If I were in L.A. I wouldn't go straying into south central or Compton, nor would I venture into Richmond or Oakland in the Bay Area. Common sense is what keeps you from trouble, and small robberies such as the one I experienced could happen to anyone, anywhere. What I fear the most of my time and work here in Ecuador is everytime I board a bus or a taxi. With the way they drive here, the Ecuadorian impatience and the need to break land speed records, it is public transportation that makes me nervous.

I apologize for the long lapse in postings. Thank you to my readers for your patience and more to come and follow. Blessings and peace be with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment