Monday, December 13, 2010

Amenities and Life in Quito

It has come to my attention that I haven't really discussed what it's like living here in Ecuador and what I have available to me in terms of living conditions. Currently I live with an Ecuadorian family in Northern Quito that is only three blocks from work. The house is really tiny and I share a room with my two host brothers. The room we are in is pretty tiny as well, perhaps the smallest in the entire house. If I were to put my hands outstretched over my head, my feet and my hands will touch the walls on opposite sides of each other in both directions of the room. Ecuadorian people are a shorter people by average and so roofs and doorways are smaller. I've hit my head numerous times on doorways in houses because they are made smaller, at least the houses I've been to, and so I have learned to instinctively duck at doorways. At public buildings, this isn't a problem. I'm not tall by any means or by definition in the United States, just shy of six feet, but in some doorways in Ecuador, they are a bit small for me.

I will not lie and say that I expected such modern ammenities when I signed up for missionary life. When mission work came to mind before I left, the typical stereotype came to mind. Living in terrible conditions, without the possibility of bathing often or having running water from a tap in the house. I have learned not to think so stereotypically since my arrival and have learned much about the modern city (by standards of developing world countries) of Quito and Ecuador. Don't get me wrong however; there have been places I have visited in Ecuador where the people live in grass huts and do not have the modern amenities that exist in the city.

When I wake in the morning, I have the ability to shower with hot water before work as I enjoy for I like starting the day with a shower. It helps me to wake and start the day. I don't have to go and draw water from a well and heat it to take a bath haha. You do have to switch a plug to turn on the hot water so as not to wast the electricity. This is something we could learn to do in the states I think.

Kitchens are equipped with stoves and ovens and are run on gas not electric. However, gas is not piped to houses directly. Instead, families buy their propane gas in tanks like we have for our bbq's in the states. Several trucks drive around the city honking their horns selling the propane gas tanks for the stoves. You give the empty tank to them upon the exchange and purchase. This is typical vending in Ecuador and is often how you do business. Many people don't have cars and can't just run to the market in their own vehicle but rely on public transportation and the traveling vendors. The vendors start the day very early and often times you will wake up to the screeching howl of a vendor selling their wares or the honking of the propane truck or even taxis and buses waiting outside to pick up their passengers. The concept of ringing a doorbell is foreign to Ecuadorians and so taxis and buses honk their horns to alert their passengers of their arrival. The horn is also greatly overused in driving in Quito and all of Ecuador for that matter.

Heaters within houses are non existant. This is because of the weather here. At ten thousand feet elevation, even the coldest days and nights will only see a low temperature around the low 50's. This really isn't all that bad. At night you just throw on a sweatshirt with your pajamas and call it good with the four or five blankets on your bed. Seven in my case with my weak Hawai'ian blood.

I am also able to keep in contact with family and friends through a wireless internet connecrtion within my house. Without this, I think I would go nuts. Staying in contact with family and friends is what helps keep me sane. It is also what allows me to keep this blog updated.

Through all this, I have learned to not be so stereotypical in thoughts, but have also realized that I have spent time with people here in Ecuador who live how I imagined mission life to be like. While visiting parishes throughout Ecuador, I have lived in grass huts for a weekend and other similar style housing without any regard as to how fortunate some people in Ecuador are over others. It also really made me thankful for what I have as well. But to some, this is a way of life and don't know any other. I spent time among an indigenous tribe in the Amazons who do not know electricity and hunt with bows and spears. The diversity of living in Ecuador is extensive and the culture and the amenities change between the cities, the countryside, and the rainforests. It is truly a unique experience living among the several different cultures and lifestyles of Ecuador.

That wraps up this blog. Until next time, as always, may the blessing of God be always with you.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi thanks for sharing this post i really like it..i want more information about Volunteer Tanzania and safari in Tanzania so please share more and more post with us.

    ReplyDelete