Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Arrival and Beginning Work

You know, I remember when I was a kid, I was excited to go on my first plane ride to anywhere. I remember thinking how cool it would be to fly among the clouds and see the world from an aerial advantage. Let's just say this; I did not feel the same way about traveling to Ecuador. After having now flown many, many times, I forgot how exhausting it is to fly. The most exciting thing about flying now is takeoff when the jet engines take off and your thrust against your seat at takeoff. I guess unexpected turbulence can be somewhat entertaining if you imagine you're on a roller coaster. Also, people don't talk to each other anymore. I have found we are a very keep to ourselves society. My flight from Sacramento to Houston consisted of no conversation. People just read or ate or did whatever occupied their attention. Anything to avoid having a conversation with your neighbor...heaven forbid. I was a little more understanding with the flight from Houston to Ecuador as that had less people who spoke english and I just figured it was more of a cultural thing. Whatever happened to courtesy food on flights and an in flight movie to help pass the time? I accumulated in one day close to sixty dollars in service fees. To watch a movie on the plane, it cost me seven dollars. For each plane trip! Also, good thing I ate before each flight because they don't serve complimentary snacks anymore. Just beverages. Ridiculous! Anyways, on to more great news.

I arrived in Quito! Coming in at night was absolutely beautiful and I can't believe how big it was! It was lights as far as the eye can see. Because Quito sits in a basin ten thousand feet above sea level in the Andes, the city is three miles wide and twenty seven miles long. From what I've seen thus far (which is the airport and the view from my room) the city looks very enticing. I can't wait to adjust to the thin air and go out exploring. Chris Morck, a local permanent Episcopal appointed missionary, said we'll do some hiking and exploring throughout the year.

I'm currently living with Chris, his wife Trish, and their two lovely daughters Isabel and Clare. They were very kind to put me up for the week until my host family returns this weekend and I move in with them. Trish works with a program assisting refugees from Colombia. Chris, who will be ordained as a priest in October, works with various programs throughout the diocese as well as being assigned to a local church here in Quito. The Morcks are from the diocese of Massachusetts and Chris has just transfered his canonical residence to the Diocese of Central Ecuador. He will be ordained in the Episcopal Cathedral here in Quito!

I got in last night at eleven o'clock but with the time it took to get through immigration and customs, we didn't end up getting back to Chris and Trish's until one thirty this morning. Now for the interesting news. Chris had arranged for me to begin my language training immediately so my tutor was here first thing this morning at eight thirty. I can tell you right now that I am exhausted. I have a terrible time sleeping on planes and with my traveling to places these past few days, I am going on very little sleep. I'm looking to going to bed early tonight.

My tutor seems incredible though. Her name is Rosa and she's from the Galapagos Language School. It seems her way of teaching is in three hour blocks, five days a week. We spend the first hour doing grammar and vocab and in the last two hours we conversed and she made me use Spanish! I just got here so you can imagine how ridiculous I sounded. Being immersed in the culture and language though, and with her training all in Spanish, I have no doubts that I will be speaking Spanish in no time.

I don't begin teaching for another couple weeks. School here in Ecuador starts in September. However, this does not mean that I am on vacation. I still have my work with the diocese to begin and this Sunday I will learn of the work I will be doing at the Cathedral. Orientation for new teachers at the school also begins in a couple weeks so I will be very busy very soon.

Well that's about it for this blog. I just arrived so I don't have much to say yet. But very soon I will have another post up and also as soon as I go out and see some of the city, I will have pictures posted as well. Until then, take care my friends. God bless.

3 comments:

  1. by the way your brother is "hji". I was just trying to figure out how to post a comment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, man. Sounds very exciting. Can't wait to read the next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found Rosa?! That's great. I hope you're settling-in well.

    ReplyDelete